Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Week 2: Getting Out

It is only the beginning of the second week of Operation One-derland, but I have managed to combat a few fears of mine (and send them packing). I have always been hesitant when it comes to roaming about my neighborhood alone. I generally feel more confident with my big scary Mountain Man, or with one of the dogs (namely Imogen. Monty's 10 pound self is not going to scare anybody away. Imogen isn't too scary either, but at least she's got a few pounds on him). While Mountain Man is at work, he simply cannot perform his duties as body guard. With baby Frank in tow, I can't drag Imogen with me out the door either (not that she makes a good jogging partner anyway, she has poor on-the-leash skills). 

Now, my neighborhood is full of middle class families and retirees. I see kids running the streets all the time. I mean, I really have little to be afraid of. Still, my brain conjures up tons of images of scary men in dark clothing taking me and baby down some dark alley only to never be heard from again (the neighborhood also completely lacks alleys). I guess the fact that I've been in the house for the better part of the last nine months is partly to blame for this irrationality.

Last Thursday, I pulled on my big-girl-britches, tied my running shoes, strapped Frank into the stroller, held my head up high, and ventured out. Needless to say, we made it back alive with not one scratch on either of us. Between then and now, Mountain Man has been home to tag along. This morning, we went out alone, for the second time, for the first day of "week two" of the running plan (jog one minute, walk three minutes, repeated 5 times). AKA, Mama busted out the jogging stroller. 

My running accessories.
This stroller originally belonged to my sister, and has been sitting in my house collecting dust. I am in love. With our other stroller, which I also love, whenever we ventured from the sidewalk into the street, poor Frank sat through a mini-earthquake. It is also difficult to keep the sun out of his little eyes, aside from turning in a different direction. The jogging stroller has an enormous sun shade, so I never had an issue with the sun in his face. It also glides so effortlessly over the road, like there isn't a bump around for miles. Our non-jogging stroller is perfect for smooth surfaces like sidewalks or trips to the store, so don't worry, we will not neglect it.

I've also had some reservations about running again. It is less than easy to get started. I remember from the last time. However, I made it through the first leg of jogging, and lived to tell the tale of how Frank and I showed the neighborhood just who exactly is the boss (I still suspiciously eye cars as they drive pass, but nonetheless we have moved forward). I also ordered a new pair of running shoes with the money I had originally set aside for a haircut (which, according to my online tracking, are now in town and should arrive soon). It's been a few years, so I'm due to replace my old pair. I feel great, and I am ultra pumped to go back out for round two of week two with my brand spankin' new nikes, and the jogging stroller.

No comments:

Post a Comment