Friday, May 10, 2013

May 10: Something That Represents You

This is my little slice of the living room. 
I feel that it represents me pretty well, if not just my aesthetic. 
For a few years, this room was unused, except to hold a lot of junk. We'd torn the carpet up, thinking we were going to replace the floor in no time. We even had the cash saved up to do so. Of course, something came up, then something else came up. And again, something else came up. So that cash was gone, lightening fast. Eventually, we had the money put away again. Mountain Man and I got to work clearing out all of the random stuff, and I picked out some paint. I sat on the floor, very pregnant, and scooted around on a cardboard box (on my butt) to paint the bottom half of the walls. I let the man handle the tall stuff (I wasn't about to climb any ladders). Then, the day of my baby shower, Mountain Man and my dad got to work installing the new flooring throughout this room, the kitchen, the hallway, and the office. After a few minor emergencies, and a few weekends, it was all finished.

  1. The wall. Pregnant/Nesting Tiffani spent an hour with these things on the floor, rearranging them over and over again. Then, she directed as Mountain Man held them up against the wall.
    "Is this where you want it?"
    "A little to the left. No, too far. Down a little. Right there! Well.. maybe to the right just a hair. Did you already put the nail in?"
    In the upper-left-hand corner hangs the Valentine's Day card baby Frank and I made with his footprints. I hung that one. Most of these are refurbished goodwill treasures, and then in the bottom right-hand-corner, a photo of Mountain Man and I from our first year together.
  2. The side-table. I constantly clean this table top, but the same crap always ends up on it. Right now, there's a teething ring, Frank's poly-vi-sol and saline, my coffee cup and breakfast plate from this morning, baby lotion, other odds and ends, and ketchup. I hate to see that bottle of ketchup there, because Mountain Man loves to taunt me, saying that I eat ketchup on everything. Of course it would end up on my table (I don't really eat ketchup on everything, but Mountain Man eats ketchup on just about nothing).
  3. The lid. This is where I generally stash a few diapers, and wipes. Sometimes it gets just as cluttered as my side-table. Currently, there are several photography books, my camera cleaning kit and bag, those diapers and wipes I previously mentioned, and Eat Pray Love. I'm only just getting around to reading it. I know, I'm about a million years late.
  4. The yarn box. This box is almost overflowing with yarn, all of my half-finished (or hardly started) crochet projects, crochet patters, and hooks. Poking out between the couch and the box is the most used phone charger in our house.
It's still a living-room-in-progress, but it's where Frank and I spend most of our time. I take most of my Frankie photos here, drink just about all of my coffee here, feed the baby here, change diapers here, nap here, watch movies here, eat here.. the whole nine yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment